[vc_row type=”in_container” scene_position=”center” text_color=”dark” text_align=”left” overlay_strength=”0.3″][vc_column column_padding=”no-extra-padding” column_padding_position=”all” background_color_opacity=”1″ background_hover_color_opacity=”1″ width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]
Choosing the Perfect Demographic for your Next Marketing Campaign
What is Demographic Segmentation?
Demographic segmentation is the process of dividing your target market based on population criteria that help you better understand your customers. This is one of the many customer segmentation criteria that are used by marketers.
Marketing efforts are only effective if your message reaches the right people. If you have amazing content and the right people aren’t seeing it, it isn’t effective. To reach the right people, the first step is to understand how to identify them by using demographic segmentation.
There are a variety of different criteria used when analyzing demographics. Using these segmentation criteria, you can segment your target audience based on their:
- Marital Status
- Family Size
- Political Preference
- Disposable Income
- Social Class
This is by no means an exhaustive list. The trick is to find the combination of the most relevant and specific information that would be the most useful to target during your marketing campaign.
How to Collect Demographic Data
Understanding the different demographic segmentation criteria is the easy part. The challenge comes with having to figure out exactly which demographic you should target.
There are certain questions you need to ask yourself before discovering your desired demographic:
- Do you have a clear understanding of what goods and services you have to offer your ideal customer?
- What is your competition doing? Who do their marketing efforts seem to be targeting? Was it successful?
- Who is currently purchasing your products? Why do you think that is?
- Are your current and/or prospective customers mostly on email, social media or watching TV? What platform would be most advantageous and efficient to send your message in order to reach the majority of your target market? Should you be using a multichannel approach to reach them on a variety of channels?
Next, familiarize yourself with different online resources and publications to learn more about your key demographic:
- The Statistical Abstract of the United States measures annual demographic information of the country.
- The United States Census Bureau Quick Fact lets you look at the demographics of more narrowly defined areas, such as states and zip codes, and filter your search for specific characteristics, such as the population of a certain age, mortgage costs, etc.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics gives you up-to-date information on income and disposable income of specific populations and how they are spending their money.
- The Pew Research Center and Business Insider both provide articles on demographic trends that are important to stay up-to-date on. These publications can provide new information about the demographics you are targeting or spark inspiration by presenting new information on a demographic that you have not yet considered but could be beneficial to pay attention to.
How Bridge Can Help
Bridge understands the importance of segmentation for marketing campaigns. That’s why we help our clients narrow down the perfect demographic criteria for their marketing efforts.
We have collected data on 650 different audience segments based on our list of 250 million reachable consumers. We do the hard work for you by ensuring that the information you are getting is up-to-date and help you reach your consumers where they spend the most time-consuming media.
During a Memorial Day Multi-Channel Campaign for our furniture store clients, we used demographic criteria, such as age, gender and income, among other segmentation criteria to discover the right niche of their target market. We used this detailed information to send hyper-targeted email blasts to a very specific target market segment which promoted foot traffic into various furniture stores over Memorial Day weekend. The campaign overall resulted in over a 200% return on marketing investment.
Let Bridge help you discover your audience for your next campaign using our state-of-the-art data technology.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row type=”in_container” scene_position=”center” text_color=”dark” text_align=”left” overlay_strength=”0.3″][vc_column column_padding=”no-extra-padding” column_padding_position=”all” background_color_opacity=”1″ background_hover_color_opacity=”1″ width=”1/1″][vc_raw_js]JTNDc2NyaXB0JTIwdHlwZSUzRCUyMnRleHQlMkZqYXZhc2NyaXB0JTIyJTNFJTBBJTBBd2luZG93Lm9uYmx1ciUyMCUzRCUyMGZ1bmN0aW9uJTIwJTI4JTI5JTIwJTdCJTBBJTIwZG9jdW1lbnQuX3RpdGxlJTIwJTNEJTIwZG9jdW1lbnQudGl0bGUlM0IlMEElMjBkb2N1bWVudC50aXRsZSUyMCUzRCUyMCUyMkRvbiUyN3QlMjBmb3JnZXQlMjB0byUyMHJlYWQlMjB0aGlzLi4uJTIyJTNCJTBBJTBBJTIwJTdEJTBBJTBBd2luZG93Lm9uZm9jdXMlMjAlM0QlMjBmdW5jdGlvbiUyMCUyOCUyOSUyMCU3QiUwQSUyMGRvY3VtZW50LnRpdGxlJTIwJTNEJTIwZG9jdW1lbnQuX3RpdGxlJTNCJTBBJTBBJTBBJTIwJTdEJTNDJTJGc2NyaXB0JTNF[/vc_raw_js][/vc_column][/vc_row]